Wednesday, May 7, 2008

An interesting 24 hours

Posted by Fio.

I haven't felt really well the last few days, but having a hectic scedule, I crossed my fingers that it would pass.
It didn't.
Yesterday I got trouble breathing. It felt like I was stuck in a 17th century corset, and my lungs were literally whistling. I couldn't finish a sentence without loosing my breath, and by 4pm it was clear that I was only getting worse.

A friend convinced me to go see a doctor, and to make a long story short, I was rushed to hospital because the doctor suspected a blood cloth in my lungs. At that point, I reached an all time low. I didn't call anyone for support because I just couldn't wrap my head around what was happening. It was just too horrible for me to think about the possible consequences of a blood cloth in my lungs. So I pretended not to be scared, crossed my fingers and decided to hope for the best.

I had a series of tests taken at the hospital. They checked my heart rythm, X-rayed my lungs and of course, withdrew so much blood that I almost suspected them to be vampires. But I decided, that sometimes you just have to have faith in other people, and this was definitely one of these times!
At midnight, after six hours in the emergency room, they finally found out that I have a serious broncities infection in my lungs.
I have never been so relieved before in my life!

By the time I got home, I was so tired I went straight for bed. When I finally made it up this morning, I realized I hadn't eaten in 24 hours! As any woman would do, with or without bronchities, I went straight for the bathroom scale. It showed three pounds down!

Ok, I don't recommend this for a diet, but I have to admit, after the stressful hours in the emergency room, I felt that I deserved a pat on my shoulder. I deserved these three pounds. Now let's just hope that they stay where they are supposed to be: Off my body!

No comments: